“Fix the Sticks” – Restoration of the 1890 Stick Style Chapel Project in the Columbiana Cemetery
The Historical Society of Columbiana and Fairfield Township in collaboration with the City of Columbiana is working to restore the 1890 “Stick Style” Chapel in the Columbiana Cemetery.
Timeline History of the Chapel
The Columbiana Cemetery was established in February 1868.
1867 Ordinance passed to purchase cemetery land.
1868 Cemetery board established.
1889 Committee of Messrs. Solomon Haas & General Holloway appointed to confer with Board in regard to building at the cemetery.
1890 Frank Grove, Paul Mellinger and John Harrold build the 18’ x 28’ Stick Style Architecture chapel to accommodate funeral parties in inclement weather. Built where the mausoleum sits today.
1920 New mausoleum built, stick chapel moved.
1960s Stick chapel turned into an equipment shed. 1971 The current cemetery chapel was built at the bequest of the John Ryan family and located near the War Memorial. Dedicated Memorial Day 1972.
2017 Stick Style chapel received a new roof and upkeep by Jim Santini Builder. $1300 donation from the Upper Room.
2022 Fix the Sticks Restoration Committee established by the Historical Society.
2023 Exterior Restoration complete.
The exterior of the chapel is close to completion. Donations for the exterior were secured by grants, fundraisers, individual and organization donations. As we begin the interior restoration phase of the 1890 chapel, additional donations will be needed. Fundraisers and grant applications are in the works.
Please check out Columbiana and Fairfield Township Historical Society Events.
If you would like to donate to the restoration of the Stick Chapel send your check payable to: “City of Columbiana” with the memo line stating: “Fix the Sticks”
mail to: 28 West Friend St., Columbiana OH 44408 Contributions are tax deductible as a 501(c )( 3) entity.
It is the goal of the Historical Society to once again use the Stick Chapel as a secondary chapel for funeral services. This is one of the last of two historical properties owned by the city.
“It has been said that, at its best, preservation engages the past in a conversation with the present over a mutual concern for the future.” – William Murtagh